The following items can be included on a Portal Site:
- Actions (including powerful create options and interactive One-Steps): Use on a Site's menu bar to support Site Items (ex: Create Incident or Display Document Repository) and enhance navigation. Actions can also be used on Dashboards and HTML pages.
- Action Catalogs: Display a self-building and dynamic catalog of Actions that empower Customers to help themselves (ex: Create a Service Catalog that displays all your services with Actions to create Incidents and Service Requests).
- Calendars: Displays time-sensitive Business Object data in a Calendar format.
- Dashboards and Widgets: Provide custom, insightful control panels capable of executing commands and providing real-time, at-a-glance information (ex: A Customer-specific Dashboard complete with a Twitter Feed, a list of announcements, and a list of Open/Closed Incidents).
- Document Repositories: Provide a collection of resourceful documents (ex: Knowledge Articles) that encourage Customers to resolve their own issues.
- Forms/records: Allow Customers to expedite service by creating, viewing, and editing their own records (ex: Incidents and Service Requests) and possibly other Customer's records.
- Grids: Allow Customers view CSM data from a Business Object in a sortable, exportable format.
- HTML Pages: Display a system administrator-designed HTML-coded page or host a web page from an external site.
- Knowledge: Search for Knowledge Articles (KAs) using a Portal Site's configured Search Control. When on a KA in the Portal, Customers can vote on Article popularity by clicking the Like/Dislike buttons, increment Usage Counts by noting whether or not it resolved their issue (Yes/No), and add feedback by clicking the Add a Comment link.
- Reports: Provide keen metrics of your record data in a formatted and organized presentation (ex: What are the upcoming IT activities for the HR department?).
- Searching: Offers rich searching so that Customers can easily locate information about the Portal. Use CSM's Out-of-the-Box (OOTB) Search Control or create your own Search Widget.
- Service Cart: Provides an e-commerce tool that Customers can use to add multiple Services to a single order, and then temporarily hold the Services until they are ready to submit their order.
- Visualizations: Display a visual map of linked records, Customers, vendors, etc.Note: HTML pages are unique to the Portal. The other items are commonly used throughout CSM.
When a Customer first accesses a Site, a default Startup Item is displayed; this can be an Action Catalog (special Widget), a Dashboard, a Document Repository, an HTML page, a Report, or a Search Group (used to display a list of records). A Customer can access other Site Items using the Site menu bar. The Startup Item can also be accessed when clicking the optional title logo/text or optional Home toolbar button .
Different Startup Items can be displayed upon login so that information can be more securely or appropriately filtered based on credentials. For example, display a Service Catalog to Customers who are not logged in (or not yet logged in), and then display a Dashboard complete with a Customer's Open Incidents for a Customer who does log in.
To help build and manage the Portal and Sites, CSM provides the Site Manager (helps manage Sites), the Site Wizard (walks through the steps to create a cursory Site), and the Site Editor and Site Properties window (help edit/refine the way the Site/Site Items look and behave). CSM also provides numerous CSM Item Managers to walk through the processes to create all Site Items: Dashboards, HTML pages, Document Repositories, etc.