License CDI and Configure Your CMDB
Use the Configuration System Manager (and its Configuration Management Setup Wizard) to license CDI and configure your CMDB.
When you run the wizard, you provide the following information:
- Which Configuration Management System to use (CDI or InControl).
- CDI license number.
- Which Business Object to associate with your devices (typically, it is Cherwell's "Configuration Item" Business Object, which is actually a group of Config Business Objects). CDI then creates data mappings between the device data and the Business Objects/Fields so that CDI knows how to populate the Business Objects and Fields. New Business Objects, Fields, and Relationships are created, if needed. CDI also assigns asset properties to the Fields so that they can accept data from inventoried items. If selected, CDI can also configure forms, Grids, and arrangements to hold and display your device data.
- Name and description for the CDI connection.
To license CDI and configure CMDB:
- Click the Create New button .
The Configuration Management Setup Wizard opens.
- Click Next.
The Select System page opens.
- Select Cherwell Discovery and Inventory, and then click Next.
The Licensing page opens.
Note: This does not appear if you are already licensed.
- Type your Company Name and Cherwell Discovery and Inventory license code. Note that this is a different license code than CSM. If you do not have a license code, contact your sales or support representative.
- Click Next.
The Configuration Options page opens.
- Associate with Object: Select the "Configuration Item" Business Object to use with CDI.
Note: Typically, this is Cherwell's "Configuration Item" Business Object. Configuration Item is actually a group of Config Business Objects and is provided in the CSM Starter database.
- Automatically Configure Business Objects: Check this box to automatically create the mapping between the device data and the Business Objects/Fields. CDI creates new Business Objects, Fields, and Relationship, if needed. CDI also assigns asset properties to the Business Object Fields.
- Automatically Configure Forms, Grids, and Arrangements: Check this box to set up Forms, Grids, and Arrangements that are preconfigured to show the various Fields, Relationships, etc. that are configured by this process.
Note: This option is available only if you chose Cherwell's Configuration Item.
Tip: We recommend you choose both these options unless you have done a lot of custom work on your CMDB Business Objects and Forms.
- Click Next.
The Name and Description page opens.
- Type a name and description for the CDI connection definition.
- Click Finish.
CSM licenses CDI, enables CDI functionality, and then configures your CMDB to accept properties from inventoried devices. A success message appears when configuration is complete.
Example: If you chose "Configuration Item," the following Configuration Item group member Business Objects are configured:
- Config - Computer
- Config - Network Device
- Config - Other Configuration Item
- Config - Printer
The following Supporting Business Objects are configured:
- Printer Alert
- Installed Service
- Installed Software
- Drive Info
The following Relationships are configured:
- Computer Owns Drives
- Computer Owns Installed Software
- Computer Owns Installed Services
- Printer Owns Printer Alerts
- Click OK.
Your connection definition is added to the list of connections.
- Click Close to close the Manager.
- Publish the Blueprint to commit the changes (File>Publish Blueprint).