About the Scheduler
The Scheduler is a tool that automatically runs defined actions (called Scheduled Items) on a scheduled basis (ex: Back up the database every night at midnight). The following actions are available from the Scheduler:
- Backup Database: Exports a selected CSM database to a compressed Cherwell Archive Repository (.czar) file.
- Database Maintenance: Performs selected database maintenance operations (ex: Rebuilding the Full-Text catalog, Rebuilding Indexes and shrinking SQL logs on a scheduled basis).
- Import External Data: Imports data from external databases (ex: Active Directory) into CSM.
- Import from File: Imports data from comma separated value (.csv) files into CSM.
- Import from LDAP: Imports LDAP records (ex: Customer lists) into CSM.
- One-Step: Runs a selected One-Step.
- Portal Credentials: Creates Portal login credentials for Customers.
- Publish Blueprint: Publishes Blueprints to your CSM system.
- Report: Runs a selected Report.
Items can be scheduled to run on a recurring basis (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly) or one-time only. The Scheduler operates within the timeframe of defined Business Hours and can be accessed through CSM Administrator.
The Scheduler runs in coordination with the Scheduling Server (service), which is installed with the CSM Server Installer.