Computer Telephony Integration (CTI) Integration
Computer Telephony Integration (CTI) is a technology solution that offers fully integrated, turnkey IT solutions including IT infrastructure design, implementation and support, security and compliance solutions, and data center integration. CSM integrates with a CTI company to provide additional telephony services, such as:
- Screen pop-ups of CSM Customer Records when an incoming call is received. The telephony client launches CSM and passes matching Automatic Number Identification (ANI) from a command line so that a CSM Customer Record can be opened on the computer screen.
- Click-to-dial for outgoing calls. A CSM One-Step passes the Customer phone number from a Customer Record to the telephony client.
Note: CSM integrates only with Telephony Application Programming Interface (TAPI)-compliant telephony clients. (The TAPI is a Microsoft Windows API that provides Computer Telephony Integration (CTI) and enables PCs running Microsoft Windows to use telephone services.)
Steps to Integrate
- Connect CSM to a CTI company using the command line. In the example, the Customer is the Cherwell Business Object to search and the number is the ANI (caller information) as passed by a CTI company.
Ex. "C:\Program Files\Cherwell Service Management\Trebuchet.App.exe"/S customer 3035555555 OR
Note: The command executed must be able to access and run the Desktop Client application from the application's installed directory.
Note: The Customer phone number without formatting needs to be in a field with Full-Text Search enabled.
- Create a Blueprint.
- Edit the Customer Record by adding a new field. The new field should have the following attributes:
Note: This field does not need to be added to the form.
Note: The OOTB content sets up the next steps automatically. If you are using a CSM version before 5.0, then follow these steps to create a field with the phone number without formatting. The field must also be in the Full-Text Index.
- Name: ShortPhone (This is an example, any name can be used.)
- Type: Text
- Length: 15
- Full Text Search enabled.
- Edit the field properties and enable the calculated feature and the field is calculated by a text-base Expression. In the example, the ShortPhone field is calculated by the ShortPhone Expression. The short phone field is calculated from the phone field in an Expression.
- Add Modifiers to the Expression to Remove (-).
- Create a One-Step to remove the Phone field, remove and extra text, and populate the field.
- In Desktop Client, go to the Customer menu.
- Select Contact Manager.
- Change the Customer Type to show the desired Customer Group.
- Go to the Search tab and click Go.
A list of all Customer Records in the Customer Group open.
- Go to the One-Step menu and select One-Step Manager.
- Click the Customer Type desired and click New.
- In the Name field, type the name for the new One-Step.
- Click Add and select Update a Business Object.
The Update Business Object Step window opens.
- From the Contact fields list, select the Short Phone field.
- Select the Template radio button.
- Right-click the Template text field.
- Select Phone.
- In the Template field, right-click and select Modifiers.
- Create a new Modifier for each possible text in the Phone field.
Examples: (,), -, X, *. For spaces, use the Remove white-space Modifier.
- Click OK in each window until you return to the One-Step Manager.
- Right-click the new One-Step you created.
- Select Run for Group. This runs the One-Step against the entire Customer Group that was chosen and populates the phone number without text or spaces.
- Contact a CTI company to ensure commands are working within CSM.