Configure Global Record Locking Settings
Use the Locking page in the System Settings window (in CSM Administrator) to configure the following Global Record Locking settings:
Good to know:
- Record locking is available only for Major Objects.
- Record locking settings are Global; no Role or User Record Locking settings are available.
- A record locking settings change requires logging out all Users, resetting IIS, and restarting the Application Server.
To configure Global Record Locking settings:
- In the CSM Administrator main window, click the Settings category, and then click the Edit System Settings task.
The System Settings window opens.
- Click the Locking page.
- Enable record locking:
- Select the Enable Record Locking check box.
- Configure general Record Locking settings:
- Unlock Records when User session ends (Recommended): Select this check box to automatically unlock all of a User's records when the User logs out of a session. If unchecked, the record remains locked until the record is saved (if configured), until the lock expires (if configured), or until the record is manually unlocked.
Tips: If the CSM Desktop Client crashes, manually release record locks using the Record Locking Manager, or wait until the system automatically releases the license based on defined inactivity settings (configured under CSM Administrator>Security>Licensing>If Client Stops Responding,Auto-Release License and/or CSM Administrator>Security>Edit Security Settings>Desktop Client>Logout inactive Users from Cherwell Client). Browser and Mobile Clients automatically log out Users/Customers after a period of inactivity based on Browser application settings and IIS configuration.
- Update Lock Status and Notify of Any Changes, When Possible: Select this check box to automatically display status and change notifications (ex: Reload and Merge ) to the lock holder and any other User who might be viewing a locked record. If not checked, Users are notified only if they attempt to edit a record.
Note: Automatic notifications are not available in the Browser Client.
- Configure OOTB Record Locking settings for all Major Business Objects:
Note: These OOTB settings can be overridden on a per Business Object basis by configuring Record Locking settings for a Business Object.
- Default Lock Type: Select one lock type from the following:
- Lock Record Upon Editing: Select this check box to automatically lock the record when a User attempts to edit the record. If unchecked, Users must manually lock records.
- Unlock Record Upon Saving: Select this check box to automatically unlock the record when a User saves the record. If unchecked, the record remains locked until the User ends his session (if configured), until the lock expires (if configured), or until the record is manually unlocked.
- Lock Expires After: Select this check box to enable lock expiration. Then, specify the time limit in minutes (ex: 30). If unchecked, the record remains locked until the User ends his session (if configured), until the record is saved (if configured), or until the record is manually unlocked.
- Minutes Before Lock Expiration to Notify Users: Select this check box to notify Users of impending expiration and allow renewal before expiration. Then, specify the number of minutes before expiration to notify Users (ex: 3 minutes).
- Maximum Number of Records a User Can Have Locked at One Time (Per Business Object Type): Specify the maximum number of records a User can have locked at one time, per Business Object (ex: Each User can lock only ten Incidents at a time).
- Configure Record Locking settings for the Customer Portal:
- Portal Participates in Record Locking (applicable only for enforced locking): Select this check box to allow Customers working in the Portal to lock records and see locks on records. Note: When a Customer attempts to edit a record, the record is automatically locked; and, when the Customer saves the record, the record is automatically unlocked. This prevents Users from editing records at the same time as Customers. However, the Customer does not see messages about locks unless she attempts to edit a record that is locked by another User or Customer.
Note: If the Portal does not participate in record locking (or record locks are Informational), the Customer is able to edit records even if a User has the record locked; the User will be given the option to merge the Customer’s edits.
- Click OK.