About Configuration Items
Configuration Items (CIs) are assets that make up the CMDB that are managed to avoid disruptions to Services. Use Configuration Items to track and monitor:
- New items.
- Current items.
- Retired items.
There are several OOTB CI categories:
- Computer: Individual laptops, individual workstations, etc.
- Mobile Device: Company cell phones, tablets, etc.
- Network Device: Access points, firewalls, routers, switches, etc.
- Printer: Local printers, network printers.
- Server: Application server, file server, mail server, etc.
- Software License: Open source, proprietary, shareware, etc.
- System: Database system, network system (ex: A CI System for the e-mail system would have a relationship with each of the mail servers).
- Telephony Equipment: Phone, ACD, etc.
- Other: CIs that do not correspond with other CI categories.
The OOTB CI Forms (ex: Printer) help to create, manage, and track CIs:
- The Main Pane displays detailed CI information based on the type of CI, such as location and network information.
- The Quick Info Tile displays important at-a-glance information based on the type of CI, such as the Status alert bar (current and next status), Open Incidents alert bar, Primary User, asset ownership, and common operations (I Want To section).
- The Form Arrangement dynamically displays linked child records based on the type of CI, such as Journals, Incidents, and Problems.